Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No beer for you!

Today is Harper's first St. Patrick's Day and unfortunately, the extent of our celebration will be the donning of green attire.

We are loving our cloth diapers.  I was thinking about how much I loved them yesterday and realized that it helps the environment so much.  Once in a while we will use a disposable but now that I've got a good rhythm on washing them, I don't see us using nearly as many as we have in the past.

While cleaning up the house the other day, Harper screamed whenever I turned the vacuum cleaner on.  I thought it was because she dropped her binky but after 3 or 4 times of turning it on, I realized it scared the dickens out of her!  It was so pitiful.  She had the worst cry/scream.  After that she wanted to be held - all day.  I couldn't leave her or she would scream.  This makes it very difficult to clean a house.  As long as she could see me she was fine.  While doing her cloth diaper laundry I had to put her down to get everything out of the dryer....

Yesterday while watching Wifeswap (stupid but highly addicting) I probably saw the most normal family that they've ever had on the show.  They usually find families with extreme views about something and pair them with a family of extreme, opposite opinions.  This episode featured a family that I hope to emulate in the future.  They were a family of five, both parents worked full time (dad outside the home and mom from her home office), all three children were well behaved, clean house (ha ha ha), they recycled and seemed to be wholesome all-around.  The mother homeschooled her children and this is how she got started: she went to her son's kindergarten class one day and sat in the back of the room.  She said after a few minutes she realized that this teacher was an idiot and that she could do a better job.  She noticed that her son was having to wait on others to answer questions and was reprimanded when he kept answering and not giving other children a chance.  She said that it made her so mad she took her son down to the office and withdrew him that afternoon.  She started teaching her second child, a girl, very early around the age of 3 and remembers the afternoon that her daughter understood the concept of addition and subtraction.  She incorporated her daughter's love of being an 'assistant' in the kitchen to help her understand math by baking a cake.  Her daughter was so excited to learn and I want that for Harper.  I'm not saying she wouldn't be excited to learn in a school setting but if I can tailor her lesson plan to include things she's good at and teach her things she isn't good at in a non-traditional way so that she does understand them, I owe that to my daughter.  Some people think homeschooling isn't fair to the child because they can't socialize with other children.  Yes they can.  They can still participate in things like music lessons, karate, dance/ballet, 4-H and the list goes on. 

I've been playing this scrabble game on my iPhone.  Words with Friends and it is so addicting, it's ridiculous.  Look me up and start a new game:  whitrn

On another note, I'm losing the last bit of pregnancy weight!  I weighed almost 200 lbs when discharged (I had multiple issues) and in just a few days, I've lost 3 more pounds.  I'm eating all the time and John has eliminated 'some' of our carbs.  My neighbor Angel and I are making an effort to walk everyday.  Things have happened the last few days and we haven't been able to walk but in two days we covered at least 7 miles!  I still eat more than usual because I'm breastfeeding Harper and they tell you you're supposed to weigh 5-10 lbs over your pre-pregnancy weight if you do.